Thursday, February 29, 2024

WARREN HAYNES ANSWERS QUESTIONS

It's not the first time (and hopefully won't be the last), but I had some questions after last Wednesday's Gov't Mule show at the Kiva Auditorium in Albuquerque.  And Warren was kind enough to give me some answers.

TnJ: I noticed your guitar tech was regularly switching guitars and I got to wondering, do you have any special "Warren tunings?" I know Joni Mitchell had a few. Or did they just keep going out of tune because of the altitude? 

WH: I carry around 25 guitars on the road- mostly for tuning reasons. In addition to keeping several guitars in standard tuning I have ones that are delegated to Open G, Open A, Open E7, Drop D, Drop C, and 2 different Open C tunings, in addition to the Firebirds which are tuned down a half step. Normally if I switch guitars it’s to use one in a different tuning.

TnJ: Is that the first time Tom Waits "Get Behind the Mule" was played? I can't believe how great the arrangement was, and how much it fit right into the Mule vibe.

WH: No, we’ve played it quite a bit and the arrangement changes every night. I thought it was really good that night.

TnJ: I hear rumors you are joining up with some other guitar slingers later this year. Touring? An album? 

WH: Working on a solo album at present. Hoping to release later this year and begin a tour before that.

# # #

No comments: