Thursday, May 21, 2009

CORNMEAL show review

Though sparsely attended, I hear the Cornmeal show at SF Brewing was smokin'. Based on this review from Lael Eccard (drummer of local jamband Pigment), I'ma hafta make sure I show up for Cornmeal's next visit (^_^) TOAST

# # #

CORNMEAL 4/23/09 Santa Fe Brewing Company, Santa Fe, NM

Being the musician and jamband music fan that I am I knew I had to attend the Cornmeal gig at the Santa Fe Brewing Co. this past Thursday. Boy was I impressed. They started off with that very familiar banjo and stand up bass driven southern bluegrass feel. Boom chick, boom chick goes the drummer with viola and acoustic guitar playing steady rhythms. Just then a voice takes the limelight with that wonderful twangy, nasally sound that is all too indicative of bluegrass. This is just the calm before the storm. These guys kick bluegrass is the ass! With a couple hits of his pedals Kris Nowak has taken flight. Instantly there is this mean sounding guitar that demands attention as he fiddles the upper register...morphing the song into a psychadelic jam that made me grin from ear to ear! If these guys come through Santa Fe again...do not miss them. Thank you to the band and to David "Wavey" for a brief chat outside the venue. My hat is off to you!

# # #

Thanks, Lael! And, since one good turn deserves another:

Up and coming PIGMENT shows:

May 23rd
Bull O the Woods Saloon,
Red River, NM, Bike Weekend
4-8pm...outdoor stage

May 24th
Vietnam Memorial Amphetheater
Benefit Concert, (Donation to benefit the memorial)
1-3pm

# # #

No comments: