Sunday, November 30, 2008

BIG D’s FAVORITES from 2007 he never heard until 2008

Amazing how not doing a radio show leads to ignoring all kinds of music. Playin' a little catch-up before we lay our BEST OF 2008 lists on ya...

01) WILCO – Sky Blue Sky
(Yet another American classic from possibly the most underrated band on the planet. “Impossible Germany” is my favorite song of 2007.)

02) UMPHREY’S McGEE – Live at the Murat
(Can’t get enough of these guys live, and since they can’t be bothered to come to a venue near me, I’ll put this on, close my eyes and pretend.)

03) JOHN BUTLER TRIO – Grand National
(“Gov Did Nothin’” is my 4th favorite song of the year. Each JBT album is better than the last. I only hope he can resist the temptation to degenerate into throwaway popiness à la Ben Harper. Oooh, diss!)

04) THE BRIDGE – The Bridge
(Best band I never heard of before – amazing songwriting – faves include “Bad Locomotive,” “Country Mile,” “14 Days”)

05) MAMA’S COOKIN’ – Mama’s Cookin’
(Second-best band I never heard of before – some of my favorite songs of the year are here: “Aquarius Skies,” “Black Reign,” “Tough Times”)

06) MOSES GUEST – Best Laid Plans
(Best band no one else seems to have heard of - yet. JAMericana from TX. Personal faves: “Colorado,” “Shine,” “Wheel”)

07) JJ GREY & MOFRO – Country Ghetto
(Another great American band in the making. Southern-fried soul music. “War” is my 2nd favorite song of the year.)

08) HOT BUTTERED RUM – Live in the Northeast
(Ear-pleasing newgrass with some nice jams. Great “Cumberland Blues,” but check out the originals “Busted in Utah,” “Desert Rat,” and “Spider.” Super-nice guys, too.)

09) RYAN MONTBLEAU BAND – Patience on Friday
(Definitely hope to hear more form these guys. Easy, catchy, R&B. Nice songwriting, interesting arrangements.)

10) SLIGHTLY STOOPID – Chronchitis
(I can’t believe everybody everywhere isn’t cranking this one up to eleven.)

HONORABLE MENTION:

3rd favorite song of 2007: “Ah Mary” from GRACE POTTER & the NOCTURNALS. From an album called “This Is Somewhere.” Sure hope I get to hear it someday.

# # #

No comments: